The Epstein Case and Socioeconomics....

Often times when we look at society it gives us a clear picture of what is wrong, that is if we want to really see what is there. I use social economics as a gauge for determining what is really going on in the markets and why a market is reacting the way it is. It used to be the only thing that I used as a leading indicator but now I have to include the ideology of the central banks if I want to be profitable. 
    I generally don't like to talk about trash and drama. The Epstein case is just that with a touch of horror and repulsion attached to it. However, I think it is important to realize that this is nothing new. This sort of activity goes on day after day in the Asiatic countries and less developed countries where older men seek out younger women or men all the time. Go to Ecuador, Malaysia, India, and a few other countries and see if you can't find a racket like this. It is actually pretty easy if you know where to look. There are thousands upon thousands of women available for just such sexual activity if you have the money. The difference with Epstein is we like to think that we are beyond such things in a developed country such as the United States. I suppose on one level we should be but our basic desires often kick in and get us into trouble when we don't know how to control them or blur the line of what is "right" and "wrong" so badly that we no longer know the difference. If you study history closely you can see clearly where we have committed monstrous atrocities against our fellow man when we feel what we are doing is the right thing. Think of Nazi Germany. 
       I think we are at one of those social inflection points right now. We continue to blur the line of what is acceptable and what is clearly not. I am no philosopher or judge where I sit on the high ground but rather I look back at the times I moved through. From my youth to where we are now. 
       I don't think that I have to tell you what an ideological shift we have had in the past thirty years or so from woman's liberation movements to the over management of our children. The pendulum always swings too far one way before it moves back to an equilibrium point. When I was young in the late 70's to early 80's we were at the equilibrium point. Today we have swung too far in one direction which can make life far too complicated. Some simplification is needed. 
         When we directly look at Epstein he was little more than a pawn to himself and the desires of his aristocratic acquaintances. Now that the books are going to be disclosed and contacts possibly named we will see how many people are part of this racket. My guess is a lot of upper-class people are going to be running for cover when their fetishes are brought into the light. I am not necessarily judging anyone. It is interesting that it has gone this far given the double standard that exists in the legal system. The one that punishes the middle class and poor but yet grants immunity to those with bank accounts over five million. 
      The bigger problem has been looking the other way for far too long allowing those who will take advantage of such a situation to do more wrongs. When this happens as much as it has over the past ten years it becomes embedded into the society itself. It, unfortunately, doesn't change until people have had enough. 
      Temptation has always been the bane of mankind. It leads us to do things that otherwise we might not do. It all seems innocent enough at the time until you become morally grounded. I believe that most of us consider ourselves good people and in truth, I think that most people are good. Like all things, there is a season for everything. In time the pendulum will swing back again and we will look at history to remind us of what we once were. Cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment