AI, Algorithms and Data...

Big data is everywhere. It is the new gold as they say. The new way to get rich as companies seek ever more sources of reliable data. This has been going on in the markets for quite some time but is only now catching on mainstream. The use of big algo's to see what the human eye cannot see is nothing new in the market place. In fact, any automated system far outperforms a human in the long run.
      You have heard me speak before on the pros and cons of moving to AI. I think that the pros do outweigh the cons but the better question to ask is, "are we moving to fast?"
   The rush at the moment is to see who can harness artificial intelligence first so that they can have the first crack at controlling the world. It is no secret that this is what all the big governments of the world are doing. It is the reason why your search engines spy on your every move and why most of the social media outlets secretly record every move that you make. Data is the new get rich formula. It is the key to all these elaborate formulas and neural nets that make up the algo's behind the AI.
      I feel though that in our headlong rush for global supremacy we are going to create something that will harm us more than help us (if we haven't already done this).
       I mean I get it. If the USA doesn't keep up with China then we here in North America are at a serious disadvantage in the coming decades. You essentially have to hope that China is content staying where they are and will not exercise any military action against the western world. It doesn't seem like a bet I would want to put any money on. I think it is a matter of time before they have a sufficient advantage in this area where they just might feel like acting on it. It would not be human nature not to.
       However, I think that it is triggering a free for all in the quickest way possible to get in the position of being in command first. When you are rushing headlong into the night you are not looking around to see what sort of consequences are being unleashed by your reckless plunge. This is the stage that I think we are at now. It is a reckless, "get it done as fast as you can", approach that can and just may lead to a serious mistake. I mean say we implement all these new forms of existence. What if we find out at some point that we made a mistake.
Are we going to be able to reset the clock on this one?
I don't know. The bigger problem might be, "how much damage is going to be done", before we realize that we have done irreparable damage?
      I don't want to fear monger and I do not want to be an alarmist of any sort. However, I am just a little bit concerned that the actions that are presently being taken have very little accountability to the future. As I mentioned it seems more like, "let's just get there and then we will worry about putting the proper conditions in place". Generally, these sorts of progressive moves don't end well. In this case, I hope that they do but with reckless abandon comes reckless results.
     I don't see this as an extinction event but I could see that this could be a big problem at some point that no one thought about in the rush. Indeed I could see that happening quite easily. It could happen either with the Chinese or the USA. I don't know.
    It is not always a bad thing to "stop and smell the roses" and I think it would be in the best interests of all involved if more of us thought this way. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment