The Marijuana Boom....

I know that this is a hotly debated subject among many people. Perhaps rightly so but not for the reasons that they or you might think.
     Personally I do not have a problem with the legalization of well....POT. There are a lot of people rotting in prison that probably should not be there as a result of being charged with trafficking or selling the stuff. I know I did a bit of it when I was younger and still to this day perhaps might try the odd joint. I don't do it very often simply because it dulls my ability to think clearly. In my own life I do not like to consume products that make me less of a person than I could potentially be. That is an injustice to me and to the people that I try to do good things for. It is also an injustice to my family and to my organizations I try to help.
       However my feelings about this sweeping legislation to legalize Pot is that it probably should have been done a long time ago. As I feel that it should have been with most recreationally and pharmaceutical substances. If people want to destroy their lives I feel that is up to them and not some government branch trying to protect us from ourselves. People will find a way to destroy their lives if they want to do it with or without the legislation in place. They have to find themselves is the way I look at it. They have to come to the realization themselves that their life style is not productive and that they are only destroying themselves. Most people do get it after a while. These are generally the born again type trying desperately to prevent others from travelling down the same path. While a noble gesture, probably wasted. Once again people will do what they do and they need to be responsible for themselves. It is that simple.
     This brings us to the question as to whether the industry itself is one that I will invest in?
I probably will not and there is good reason for this.
Once again I have zero problem with legalization and in truth think that it is a smart thing to do. It will probably stop the black market nonsense and make it easier for people to acquire it. All good things.
     Where I have my problem is in society itself.
To me it is one more step we are taking in desensitizing and numbing down people. The reason being is (like cigarettes and booze) there will be segments of the population that will abuse it. In other words although it can be a good product in medicine for a number of areas including cancer it can also be very damaging. With the governments of the western world handing out money to sit at home instead of working this will likely become an epidemic. I have had the pleasure of working in addictions in my life time and I do understand the implications of allowing people free rein around substances that are harmful. Cannabis is a harmful substance whether people realize it or not. To smoke it as a joint is to smoke the equivalent of five cigarettes. Not good. The other problem resides in the money people stand to make from it and how powerful it is now compared to when I was younger and part of the hippies. The stuff out there now is 100 times more powerful. It is a hybrid of the original and is quite simply too powerful. This will only increase in power as more people use it and perhaps become addicted.
      You have heard me say it before that money IS NOT the root of all evil but rather it is how it is used which can or cannot make it either good or bad. This is a product in my own mind that will further degrade society and will make people more docile and numb than they already are with all the pharmaceuticals they already consume. What will be the effect in a chemistry sense of mixing some of the pharmaceuticals with cannabis? Well like most of what we are doing right now we have no idea of the long term effects.
      As a result of seeing this as just another nail in the coffin for society I doubt that I will be investing in the field any time soon. That does not mean that it is not going to be profitable because I am sure that it will. Keeping up with the demand will be the major problem. However to me the product is not good. It is not one that will make society better any time soon or help my fellow man. Therefor it is off my list. I would rather ride the wave of electric cars and positive energy than this. The difference is one makes our world a better place for all and the other really has no long term benefits that I can see. However the choice is up to you. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment